Skip to main content

Scout Rider 50, Red Athens in Work Order 200


“I would make you live.” He moved his hand to the blade, raised it to Knyght’s neck, smiled as it crossed the adams apple, and pushed it back.  “Justice, in this world, can be found in the cold iron of the blade. When Dorians first settled here, they did more for these lands by making war than writing laws. And I know of your escapades to the Battle Mage tournaments, so don’t pretend killing is foreign to you, son.”
            Pericles Knyght stepped forward. The mark on his arm, the demonic cross of Aries, made him sure of his destiny (a story, you will hear of, scholar). But the last thing he wanted was to leave the great city to conquer more lands, and gain more gold, but leave the backdoor open to Green Sparta. Red Athens demanded he stay, take the seat next to his king.
“I feel an error in the strategy—if you mean me to go.”
“What be it.”
            Knyght was playing his father, as politicians were so apt to do. But this wasn’t the senate of Sky Rome, where plebiscite and proletariat battled over legions. Two men stood for Red Athens … it was so different not long ago. While votes were made, this was a different form of democracy—where kings still had the power to make war.
“Ionia has always hated the Followers of Hammurabi. Our goal should be there; a subjugated people—“
“Are always willing to change sides. Good, my son.” And so it went. For Pericles Knyght had hope in the mission. Who he be? More, who are they all?
Pericles Knyght was a lonely prince who sought justice in the world. He had never lay with a woman, never put a coin in his pocket, and, as this text will make plain, never ran from a battle. But sometimes the cross of Aries hurt him; it was became as hot as blue fire, deep, strong, calling him to battle. He knew of no murderers in Red Athens. In each of the other empires, murders for coin were common. This city, built on a magik lost to the end of the Dorian Greeks, was a minor heaven for those who lived there. Some called it Eden, like the lost Hebrews would call their true paradise.

                                                            2
“Who will go?”
“Calli, the Roman envoy, Numid, the Carthage prince, and Verce, the Free Celt, will be part of your guard. We will spare several hundred blades under your command, along with 100 triremes to make the voyage.”
“And why not another son? I be the youngest of the Pericles sons.”
“How many drunks have you killed in the streets?  A thief takes a small dagger, and you kill him with it. You are already—“
“A murderer?”
“It be your curse son, the curse of Aries. This be destiny.” King Pericles Opti left the room with an odd walk he practiced at social gatherings, the sound of his heavy breathing another reminder to Knyght of what it took to be King, anywhere.
Knyght looked around, to the images of the great kings of Red Athens. A magik city once, he saw no hope in staying here. It made him all the worse when the line was threatened by kings and emperors from many different lands. Like the rain, he had no control over his bloodlust curse. One picture caught his eye, a demon standing behind one of the Pericles line. He pointed. “Who is—“
            He was alone. He walked back out to the city. It, full of towers as it was, always put a glimmer of light in his heart. The city stood against the water upon where so much of its power showed. Pericles Knyght had a hatred of the fleet, a hatred of war, but deep within a sense of power often overtook him. Of course, his brothers were far away, and the mission his. Maximus was in Sky Rome, Deretes was in Carthage, and Galesia was in the Celtic empire. His father had spread them out? This scholar has a theory, but let the story light the way.
            He walked to the end of the city. Now, the city was built to reach the sky. It had been said, ages ago, a city named Athens had stood here, a small village with a strong people. Something happened. As Knyght passed pople on the streets, some with fear in their eyes, he saw a vision of something above them. There he was, a blade in hand, the magik fire had practiced for so long reaching fruition, becoming a force, and a the long lost shield of Aries, from when the Dorians first stood with the gods. Yes, the blade, fire, and shield, all one needed to kill. Killing meant power, and if one didn’t someone else would—such was it in this era.
Why, Knyght asked, could he have not been poor, a pauper thief, devoid of riches? The city stood as a beacon against who he was, because Red Athens was a tiny piece of justice in the world. There were courts—even where kings could be implicated—and laws and freedom, the freedom to make art and make war, the laws saying rules still had to be followed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mars Jacket, by Jacob Malewitz, 1st Short Story on Scout Rider 50

The Mars Jacket By Jacob Malewitz 1,000 Red Son of Orbiter             You can call it what you want—just don’t call it a psych ward. In this ward was a girl whom I hated more than anything. She sat like the devil on her throne. Hell had a place for her, though I was sure she thought she fought on the side of good. This is my story of finding peace in the land of the insane. She will play a part. Evil always does. She will go unnamed, though I can give some details on the devil of my world. She chain-smoked cigarettes, even bummed a few from me before I ran out of money for the bad habit. I knew from watching her that she worked twice as hard as I did on everything. She would never quit. I hated that in other people; I hated her more than anyone else because of it. I liked watching TV, and found a show about the Solar System and religiously watched it with dreams of making it to the colonized planets. The Jupite...

Age of Empires Egyptian Strategy

Age of Empires Egyptian Strategy By Jacob Malewitz ScoutRider http://scoutriderages.blogspot.com/ One game, went with Shang against Persian and Greek. I was playing with Egypt, who I enjoy playing in Age of Empires as they have a strong chariot and strong navy. I usually play Hittites and Choson, as they are the best in Deathmatch, a game where you are full on resources and have to hit on war. I lost. My ally immediately turned, as happens in Age of Empires, and I was surprised at how fast the Persians and the Greeks hit my city, Held point of war, went with chariot archer, elephant, and some catapult. Shang did turn late in the game as I started losing. I lost game on points. Actually, I turned on my ally before I could be hit by them, a wise strategy in Age of Empires I. If you play with Egyptian, a tough game to play against any civ, you should try the chariot archer. Archer units can win in any strategy game. Archer units are very strong. On the other hand, you can win different ...

Novel, A Working Madness, by Jacob Malewitz and Ghost War 50, Doom 6 game out and buy

Novel, A Working Madness, by Ghost War 50 Age of Empires Win 2, Franks 500,000 per drink and smoke 12 cigarettes Empires, Dawn of the Modern World 100 White Polo Vest 100 By Jacob Malewitz Act 1: Out on a Trip, A Brother’s Los (t) (s), Working on a Job Ch.1 They could see me. I mean some of them could. You see the world plays in extremes. This is just a story of that world, one where a small roman god took power, built madness, all in the hopes of finding something.     The doctor isn’t listening. Quentin T; I can sense that. I once heard a voice. I was once a man. I passed through a doorway. “You’re the one.” But it was in a different language, yet I understood. Quentin T. is a different man, perhaps with his voices he’s insane. He speaks regular talk, the kind that that has meaning.     I am Janus, keeper of the gate. This story will chronicle Quentin T., a hero who fought the devil throughout his life, laughing at angels and demons on a regular basis. Hi...